padlockranchco Padlock Ranch Company
This individual will be part of a team involved in the day-to-day activities and care of cattle in our Feedlot Unit. Pen Rider positions (3-4 positions) will report to the Feedlot Unit Manager, who in turn is a direct report to the Livestock Manager. They will be involved in day-to-day cow animal health and cattle work in and around our feedlot, including care of cattle out on pivot and pasture adjacent to the feedlot. All cow work is horseback. They will be responsible for fence and pen maintenance and may also be asked to help on neighboring ranch units as the need dictates.
- A minimum of 5 years of livestock experience.
- Maintaining a positive attitude, and the ability and willingness to take direction from supervisors.
- Experience in and willingness to use minimal stress animal handling techniques and exhibit good horsemanship skills.
- Ability to diagnose and treat sick cattle using veterinarian approved protocols.
- Ability to learn and operate feedlot management software in the hospitals.
- Ability to shoe own string of horses.
- Ability to work as part of a crew or alone as the task dictates.
- Willingness to learn our system and work toward overarching ranch priorities.
- Riding pens and cattle movements as needed.
- Diagnosing and treating sick animal, adhering to established treatment protocols set up by consulting vets and management.
- Maintaining accurate treatment records for individual animals using Feed Yard Manager software.
- Keep accurate records of cattle pulled from pens to aid feedlot manager in maintaining accurate daily pen counts.
- Pen maintenance at the feedlot, including fence repair and dirt work.
- Fence maintenance on pastures adjacent to or near the feedlot.
- Helping with pasture rotations of yearlings in a MIG system on irrigated pasture during the summer.
- Filling out branding crews and help with pasture moves on ranch units as needed during the summer.
- Helping with heat detection during AI of replacement heifers in July.
- Working efficiently to get the work done in a timely manner.
- Taking care of horse your string of ranch and/or personal horses. Keeping horses shod and in usable condition.
- Taking care of your ranch house and yard.
- Taking care of your ranch provided vehicles, keeping them clean inside and out, checking fluids, communicating to shop any issues.
- No dogs are allowed to be used in the feedlot. Use on outside cattle is at the discretion of the individual supervisors.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive salary commensurate on experience and tenure.
- Insurance for employee and their family, available after 90-days of full-time employment
- 2 weeks paid vacation per year, accrued per pay period, with the timing to be worked out with their individual supervisor.
- Eligibility to participate in employer sponsored 401-k after one year of full-time employment. Employer will match up to 5% of annual salary if that amount is invested. Employee can contribute any amount they choose.
- Housing plus basic utilities (gas/electric)
- Ability to keep some personal horses if they are for ranch use, number to be discussed on a person-by-person basis.
- Ranch pickup for ranch related work.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com